King Ranch Breakfast Strata
Photo: Greg Dupree; Styling: Buffy Hargett Miller
More From Southern Living
Total: 10 Hours, 45 Minutes
- 1/2 (16-oz.) French bread loaf, cubed (about 4 cups)
- 8 (6-inch) fajita-size corn tortillas, cut into strips
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 2 1/2 cups grated pepper Jack cheese, divided
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 (14.5-oz.) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 (4-oz.) can diced green chiles, drained
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 10 large eggs
- 1 (10 3/4-oz.) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 2 1/2 cups milk, divided
- 1. Toss together first 2 ingredients, and place in a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Sprinkle with chicken and 2 cups cheese.
- 2. Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add tomatoes and next 8 ingredients, and cook, stirring often, 5 to 8 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat, and cool 10 minutes.
- 3. Whisk together eggs, soup, and 1 1/2 cups milk in a large bowl. Pour over bread mixture. Sprinkle with cooled onion mixture. Cover with plastic wrap, and chill 8 to 24 hours.
- 4. Pour remaining 1 cup milk over strata; top with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Let stand 45 minutes.
- 5. Preheat oven to 325°. Bake strata 1 hour and 10 minutes or until set. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Casseroles