- 1/2 cup warm water (105Â° to 115Â°)
- 2 packages dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 4 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1/2 cup warm milk (105Â° to 115Â°)
- 1/2 cup melted butter, cooled
- 5 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup finely chopped candied citron (optional)
- 1 pecan half or uncooked dried bean
- Purple, green, and gold sugar crystals
- Combine warm water, yeast, and 2 teaspoons sugar in a small bowl. Mix well; set in a warm place about 10 minutes.
- Combine 4 cups flour, 1/2 cup sugar, salt, nutmeg, and lemon rind; add warm milk, melted butter, egg yolks, and yeast mixture. Beat until smooth.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead in enough remaining flour until dough is no longer sticky. Continue kneading about 10 minutes until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Place dough in a well-greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, about 1 1/2 hours or until doubled in bulk.
- Punch dough down, and place on a lightly floured surface. Sprinkle with citron, if desired, kneading until citron is evenly distributed. Shape dough into a cylinder 30 inches long.
- Place cylinder on a buttered baking sheet; shape into a ring, pinching ends together to seal. Place a well-greased 2-pound coffee can or shortening can in center of ring to maintain shape during baking.
- Press pecan half gently into ring from bottom so it is completely hidden by dough. Cover and let rise in a warm place about 45 minutes or until doubled in bulk.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove coffee can immediately. Allow cake to cool. Drizzle cake with glaze; sprinkle with sugar crystals, alternating colors.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Cakes/Frostings