A fitting end to any traditional Mardi Gras celebration, this highly recommended recipe originally appeared in January 1990.
Yield: Makes 2 cakes
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1 (16-ounce) container sour cream
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 (1/4-ounce) envelopes active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup warm water (100° to 110°)
- 2 large eggs
- 6 to 6 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
- Colored Frostings
- Colored Sugars
- Cook first 4 ingredients in a saucepan over low heat, stirring often, until butter melts. Cool mixture to 100° to 110°.
- Dissolve yeast and 1 tablespoon sugar in 1/2 cup warm water in a large bowl; let stand 5 minutes. Add butter mixture, eggs, and 2 cups flour; beat at medium speed with an electric mixer 2 minutes or until smooth. Gradually stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. Place in a well-greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.
- Stir together 1/2 cup sugar and cinnamon; set aside.
- Punch dough down; divide in half. Turn 1 portion out onto a lightly floured surface; roll to a 28- x 10-inch rectangle. Spread half each of cinnamon mixture and softened butter on dough. Roll dough, jellyroll fashion, starting at long side. Place dough roll, seam side down, on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bring ends together to form an oval ring, moistening and pinching edges together to seal. Repeat with remaining dough, cinnamon mixture, and butter.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place, free from drafts, 20 minutes or until doubled in bulk.
- Bake at 375° for 15 minutes or until golden. Decorate with bands of Colored Frostings, and sprinkle with Colored Sugars.
- Note: Once the cake has cooled, randomly insert a plastic baby doll, if desired, before frosting.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note