- 5 pounds ground fresh pork
- 3/4 cup water
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper
- Pork sausage casings (6 to 7 feet)
- Hickory chips soaked in water
- Combine first 8 ingredients in a large mixing bowl, mixing well. Set pork mixture aside.
- Rinse pork casings thoroughly with warm water; drain. Tie one end of each casing securely with cotton string. Stuff sausage mixture into casings according to basic directions for stuffing sausage. Twist and tie casings into 12-inch links. Set links aside.
- Prepare charcoal fire in smoker, and let burn 10 to 15 minutes. Sprinkle wet hickory chips over grey-white coals. Place water pan in smoker, and fill with hot water.
- Place lower food rack on appropriate shelf in smoker. Arrange half of sausage links on rack. Place upper food rack on shelf, and arrange remaining sausage links on rack. Cover smoker with lid. Smoke sausage links 6 to 12 hours, refilling water pan with additional water, if needed. Remove sausage links from smoker. Slice and serve immediately or refrigerate for later use.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes