To warm her kids up to spicy foods, Shirley Bomgaars diluted salsa with tomato soup to use in quick and easy enchiladas. Now, for fuller flavor, she's upped the salsa ratio and uses tomato sauce instead of soup. For a hearty variation, add cooked ground beef or turkey to the filling.
Sunset MAY 1997
1. Cook bean and rice mix according to package directions.
2. Meanwhile, combine salsa and tomato sauce and pour 1 cup of the mixture into a 9- by 13-inch casserole.
3. In a microwave oven on full power (100 percent), warm 2 or 3 tortillas at a time between paper towels, 20 to 30 seconds.
4. As tortillas are heated, spoon 1/4 cup bean mixture and 1 tablespoon cheese down center of each, roll to enclose, and place, seam down, in casserole.
5. Pour remaining salsa mixture over enchiladas and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
6. Bake in a 400° oven until enchiladas are hot in center, 20 to 25 minutes. Garnish the casserole with sour cream and olives.
Go to Full Version of