- 1 1/2 pounds cleaned, skinned conch meat
- 1/4 pound salt pork, diced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 cups water
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 2 cups diced raw potatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (5.33-ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
How to Make It
Grind conch meat using coarse blade of a meat grinder; set aside.
Cook salt pork in a large Dutch oven until crisp; remove salt pork, reserving drippings in Dutch oven. Crumble salt pork, and set aside.
Sauté onion, green pepper, and garlic in drippings until tender.
Add ground conch, water, tomatoes, potatoes, and bay leaves to vegetable mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1 hour.
Add milk, salt, and pepper. Cook until thoroughly heated. (Do not boil.) Remove and discard bay leaves. Spoon chowder into individual serving bowls, and garnish with reserved salt pork. Serve immediately.