Key Lime Stars deliver slightly tart flavor with each buttery bite.
Southern Living DECEMBER 2012
1. Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add sugar, beating until smooth. Stir in 1 Tbsp. Key lime zest and juice until blended.
2. Stir together flour and next 2 ingredients. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating at low speed until blended.
3. Divide dough in half; flatten each into a disk. Roll each disk to 1/4-inch thickness between 2 sheets of wax paper. Transfer dough, in wax paper, to a baking sheet; chill 1 hour.
4. Preheat oven to 350°. Working with 1 portion of dough at a time, remove top wax paper; cut with a 2-inch star-shaped cutter, rerolling dough scraps once. Place 1 inch apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Stir together white sanding sugar and 1 Tbsp. lime zest. Sprinkle cookies with sugar mixture, pressing gently to adhere.
5. Bake at 350° for 14 to 16 minutes or until tips of stars just begin to brown. Cool on baking sheets 1 minute; transfer to wire racks. Cool completely. Store in airtight containers.
Go to full version of