I tried these thinking I would impress my mother in law with something different since she is a prize winning baker (Betty Croker & Pillsbery)! What a waste of a lot if time and effort. The cookies were low in the flavor category, dough was extremely hard to work with and I ended up having to re-roll the dough even though it sat in the fridge for an hour. The cookies came out thin and small - recipe says 2" cookie cutter and they mean it. If you don't use a two inch cutter you can forget about having a decent batch of cookies. For a decent cookie, you have to make 3" but with this dough, you will have a hard time getting it on the cookie sheet without messing it up. For all the effort, not making again - not enough taste to make it worth it!
Key Lime Stars
Photo: Iain Bagwell; Styling: Heather Chadduck
Yield: Makes about 4 dozen
More From Southern Living
Total: 2 Hours, 40 Minutes
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon Key lime zest
- 2 tablespoons Key lime juice
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Wax and parchment paper
- 2 tablespoons white sanding sugar
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
- 1. Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add sugar, beating until smooth. Stir in 1 Tbsp. Key lime zest and juice until blended.
- 2. Stir together flour and next 2 ingredients. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating at low speed until blended.
- 3. Divide dough in half; flatten each into a disk. Roll each disk to 1/4-inch thickness between 2 sheets of wax paper. Transfer dough, in wax paper, to a baking sheet; chill 1 hour.
- 4. Preheat oven to 350°. Working with 1 portion of dough at a time, remove top wax paper; cut with a 2-inch star-shaped cutter, rerolling dough scraps once. Place 1 inch apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Stir together white sanding sugar and 1 Tbsp. lime zest. Sprinkle cookies with sugar mixture, pressing gently to adhere.
- 5. Bake at 350° for 14 to 16 minutes or until tips of stars just begin to brown. Cool on baking sheets 1 minute; transfer to wire racks. Cool completely. Store in airtight containers.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts