Lemon meringue pie, yes. Key Lime meringue pie, no.
Key Lime Pie
This dessert is best enjoyed the day it's made.
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 slice)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 320
- Fat: 6.8g
- Saturated fat: 2.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Protein: 9g
- Carbohydrate: 55.5g
- Fiber: 0.5g
- Cholesterol: 118mg
- Iron: 1mg
- Sodium: 214mg
- Calcium: 146mg
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs (about 10 cookie sheets)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 4 large egg whites, divided
- 1 tablespoon water
- Cooking spray
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup fresh Key lime juice or fresh lime juice (about 6 Key limes)
- 1 (14-ounce) can fat-free sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon grated Key lime or lime rind
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons water
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2. Combine crumbs and melted butter in a bowl. Place 1 egg white in a small bowl; stir well with a whisk until foamy. Add 2 tablespoons egg white to graham cracker mixture, tossing well with a fork to combine. Discard remaining beaten egg white. Add 1 tablespoon water to graham cracker mixture; toss gently to coat. Press into bottom and up sides of a 9-inch pie plate coated with cooking spray. (Moisten fingers, if needed, to bring mixture together.) Bake at 350° for 8 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- 3. Place 2 eggs and 2 egg yolks in a bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended. Add juice and condensed milk, beating until thick; stir in rind. Spoon mixture into prepared crust. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until edges are set (center will not be firm but will set as it chills). Cool completely on a wire rack. Cover loosely, and chill at least 2 hours.
- 4. Place remaining 3 egg whites in a bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until foamy using clean beaters.
- 5. Combine sugar and 2 1/2 tablespoons water in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Cook, without stirring, until a candy thermometer registers 250°. Pour hot sugar syrup in a thin stream over egg whites, beating at high speed 2 minutes or until stiff peaks form. Spread meringue over chilled pie (completely cover pie with meringue).
- 6. Preheat broiler.
- 7. Broil pie 1 minute or until meringue is lightly browned.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts