Key Lime Icebox Cake
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 3/4 cup(s) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup(s) cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon(s) Kosher salt
- 4 Large egg yolks
- 2 cup(s) half-and-half
- 3 tablespoon(s) butter
- 2 tablespoon(s) Key lime zest
- 1/2 cup(s) Fresh key lime juice
- 45 Graham Crackers Squares
- 1 cup(s) whipping cream
- 1/4 cup(s) powdered sugar
- 1. Whisk together first 3 ingredients in a heavy saucepan. Whisk together egg yolks and half-and-half in a bowl. Gradually whisk egg mixture into sugar mixture; bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking constantly. Boil, whisking constantly, 1 minute; remove from heat. Whisk in butter and zest until butter melts. Gradually whisk in juice just until blended. Pour into a metal bowl, and place bowl on ice. Let stand, stirring occasionally, 8 to 10 minutes or until or until custard is cold and slightly thickened.
- 2. Meanwhile, line bottom and sides of an 8-inch square pan with plastic wrap, allowing 4 inches to extend over the sides. Place 9 graham crackers, with sides touching in a single layer in bottom of pan to from a large square. (Crackers will not completely cover bottom.)
- 3. Spoon about 3/4 cup cold custard over crackers; spread to edge of crackers. Repeat layers 3 times with crackers and remaining custard, ending with custard; top with remaining 9 crackers. Pull sides of plastic wrap tightly over cake; freeze in pan 8 hours.
- 4. Lift cake from pan; and place on a platter; discard plastic wrap. Cover loosely; let stand 1 hour.
- 5. Beat whipping cream at high speed with an electric mixer until foamy; gradually add powdered sugar, beating until soft peaks form. Spread on top of cake.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by carolelsuter and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Key Lime Icebox Cake Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Desserts