Key Lime Ice Cream Pie
Homemade Key lime ice cream and a graham cracker pie crust combine to make a tangy and delicious frozen treat. Keep this pie in the freezer so you'll always have a cool treat waiting when an unexpected visitor drops in.
More From Coastal Living
Other: 6 Hours, 30 Minutes
- 1 2/3 cups sugar, divided
- 1 2/3 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 vanilla bean, split in half lengthwise
- 1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 8 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon Key lime zest
- 1 1/4 cups fresh Key lime juice
- Garnishes: Key lime slices, sweetened whipped cream
- 1. Combine 1 cup sugar and next 3 ingredients in a large saucepan. Scrape seeds from vanilla bean; add seeds and bean to milk mixture. Bring to a boil over high heat. Immediately remove from heat, and let stand 30 minutes. Remove and discard vanilla bean.
- 2. Combine graham cracker crumbs and next 4 ingredients in a medium bowl, tossing until well blended. Press crumbs into a 9-inch glass or ceramic pie plate to form an even crust. Bake at 350° for 8 minutes or until firm to the touch; cool completely, and set aside.
- 3. Beat egg yolks in a large bowl. Slowly whisk 1 cup warm cream mixture into egg yolks. Add egg mixture to remaining cream mixture, whisking constantly.
- 4. Cook cream mixture over medium heat, whisking constantly, 5 minutes or until mixture reaches 160° and coats the back of a spoon. Remove from heat; pour through a fine wire-mesh strainer into a bowl. Cool custard completely, stirring occasionally.
- 5. Combine remaining 2/3 cup sugar and Key lime zest and juice in a bowl, stirring until sugar dissolves. Stir lime juice mixture into cooled custard. Transfer custard to an ice cream maker, and process according to manufacturer's directions.
- 6. Mound ice cream into prepared crust. Freeze pie 4 hours or overnight. Garnish, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note