These were great tasting and refreshing. I am making them again, even though they were a bit of a fuss. Worth it though :)
Key Lime Bars with Macadamia Crust
Yield: Makes 24 bars
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2/3 cup chopped macadamias
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup Key lime juice
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 2 tablespoons Key lime juice
- 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon grated lime rind
- 2 1/2 cups whipping cream,whipped
- Garnish: grated lime rind
- Process flour and next 4 ingredients in a food processor until finely ground. Press mixture into a greased aluminum foil-lined 13- x 9-inch pan.
- Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until golden. Cool on a wire rack.
- Heat 3/4 cup sugar and 1/2 cup lime juice over low heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat, and set aside.
- Sprinkle gelatin over 2 tablespoons lime juice in a medium bowl; stir gelatin mixture, and let stand 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add hot mixture, stirring until gelatin dissolves. Whisk in sweetened condensed milk and grated lime rind.
- Place bowl in a larger bowl filled with ice; whisk mixture 10 minutes or until partially set.
- Fold in whipped cream. Pour evenly over prepared crust; cover and chill 8 hours. Cut into diamond shapes. Garnish, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Key Lime Bars with Macadamia Crust Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Desserts, Cookies
- CONVENIENCE: Entertaining, Make-Ahead
- CUISINE: American, Southern
- MAIN INGREDIENT: Dairy, Fruits, Nuts
- COOKING METHOD: Bake
- OCCASION: Birthdays/Anniversaries, Christmas, Easter, Father's Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Memorial Day, Mother's Day, New Year's
- PUBLICATION: Southern Living
More Recipes for Desserts