Kentucky Hot Browns
- 8 thick white bread slices
- 1 pound roasted turkey slices
- Cheese Sauce
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 8 bacon slices, cooked
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced and halved
- Trim crusts from bread slices, and discard. Place bread on a baking sheet, and broil 3 inches from heat until toasted, turning once.
- Arrange 2 bread slices in each of 4 lightly greased individual baking dishes. Top bread evenly with turkey. Pour hot Cheese Sauce evenly over turkey, and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Broil 6 inches from heat 4 minutes or until bubbly and lightly browned; remove from oven. Top evenly with bacon and tomato. Serve immediately.
- Note: A lightly greased 15- x 10-inch jellyroll pan may be substituted for individual baking dishes. Arrange bread slices evenly in bottom of pan. Top evenly with turkey and Cheese Sauce; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Proceed with recipe as directed.
- Biscuit Hot Browns: Bake 4 large frozen biscuits according to package directions. Split biscuits in half, and toast. Substitute biscuit for bread, and proceed with recipe as directed.
- Southwestern Hot Browns: Substitute 4 large, thick cornbread squares, split and toasted, for bread slices. Sprinkle 1 (4.5-ounce) can chopped green chiles evenly over turkey before adding Cheese Sauce. Sprinkle 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese evenly over sauce. Proceed with recipe as directed.
- Hot Browns with Fried Cheese Grits: Prepare 1 cup regular grits according to package directions. Stir in 1 cp (4 ounces) shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese until melted. Pour hot cooked grits into a greased 9-inch square pan. Cover and chill 8 hours or until firm. Invert onto a cutting board, and cut into 4 squares. Cut each square into 4 triangles. Fry grits, in batches, in 2 tablespoons hot vegetable oil in a large nonstrick skillet over medium-high heat 2 minutes on each side or untl golden brown. Remve from pan, and set aside. Cook 2 large diced sweet onions and 1 tablespoon sugar in 2 tablespons hot oil in skillet over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, 20 minutes or until deep golden brown. Arrange 4 grits triangles in a single layer in a lightly greased individual baking dish; top with turkey, sautèed onion, and Cheese Sauce. Repeat with remaining grits triangles, turkey, onion, and Cheese Sauce. Proceed with recipe as directed.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note