This is an outstanding salad and salad dressing. I didn't use the peaches, good ones being out of season at present, so I substituted a chopped apple. The gorgonzola hit the spot with its tangy creaminess. Feel free to substitute any other lettuce if Bibb is hard to find. I used Boston lettuce and it was perfect. The only cress I could find was a bit past its prime so I only used about half as much as the recipe called for. The bourbon dressing is not to be missed. It has become one of my favorite dressings for other salads as well as this one. I am eager to try this with the featured Country Ham Corn Cakes mentioned in the same article.
Kentucky Bibb Lettuce Salad with Bourbon Vinaigrette
Tender Bibb lettuce comes from Kentucky. Dress it up with bourbon-infused vinaigrette, and serve with Country Ham Corn Cakes.
More From Southern Living
Total: 1 Hour, 20 Minutes
- 1 1/2 cups pecan halves and pieces
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 6 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
- 8 cups torn Bibb lettuce (2 to 3 medium heads)
- 4 cups trimmed watercress
- 4 large peaches, peeled and sliced
- 1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 4 ounces Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
- Bourbon Vinaigrette
- Country Ham Corn Cakes
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Toss pecans in butter. Stir together brown sugar and red pepper in a bowl; add pecans, tossing to coat. Spread pecans in a single layer in a lightly greased aluminum foil-lined shallow pan. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned, toasted, and fragrant. Remove from oven, and toss pecans with crumbled bacon. Cool in pan on a wire rack 20 minutes; separate pecans with a fork.
- 2. Combine Bibb lettuce, next 3 ingredients, and pecan mixture in a large bowl. Top with crumbled cheese. Serve with Bourbon Vinaigrette and Country Ham Corn Cakes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note