- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 pounds tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 6 large eggs (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
How to Make It
Combine first 6 ingredients in a large bowl, mixing with hands until well blended. Form into 2-inch balls; set aside.
Sauté red onion in hot oil in a large (4-quart) tagine or Dutch oven 2 minutes. Stir in garlic, chopped tomato, and tomato paste.
Bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat, cover, and simmer 10 to 15 minutes. Add meatballs, and simmer 10 minutes or until thoroughly cooked.
Crack eggs into tomato mixture, if desired, and poach 2 minutes or until desired degree of doneness. Sprinkle with herbs.