KC's Plum Brandy
A sweet liqueur for drinking or serving over ice cream and fruit. Ages very well. Use the lees (cloudy liquid from bottom of bottle) to season stews, soups and sauces. Inspired by excess harvest from my aunt's sugar plum tree and adapted from "Silver Palate" cookbook. Freeze the plums as they ripen and prepare any time of year; allow at least 3 months before bottling.
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1 pound(s) sugar plums (4 cups frozen whole)
- 1 bottle(s) vodka (fifth)
- 2 cup(s) granulated sugar
- Remove pits from plums (easy with frozen plums that fall apart in your hands).
- Combine pitted plums (including skins), vodka and sugar in large sealable non-reactive container (e.g., large glass jar). Let set for 3-4 months minimum in a cool dark place, stirring or shaking once or twice a month.
- - Large slotted spoon
- - Fine sieve
- - Cheesecloth
- - Pitchers (or other containers with spouts
- - Bottles
- - Corks or caps
- Bottling is more time-consuming and messy. Have your supplies ready and don't get impatient (maybe plug in a good DVD).
- Remove the pieces of plum with a large slotted spoon, letting as much liquid as possible to drain back into the container. Discard the plums.
- In small batches, strain the liquid through fine sieve and/or cheesecloth into pitchers one or more times (depending on how clear you want the brandy).
- For more clarity in the liquid, let the liquid sit in pitchers for at least 20-30 minutes before bottling.
- Carefully pour into bottles, disturbing as little sediment as possible, and seal each bottle with cork or cap. The residual cloudy liquid can be put in its own bottle for seasoning sauces, soups and stews.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by ebelle and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
KC's Plum Brandy Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Beverages, Alcoholic