- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced yellow onion
- 3 ounces crumbled blue cheese (such as Stilton or Rogue River Blue)
- 3 ounces coarsely shredded Wagon Wheel or asiago
- 4 slices seeded wheat bread or walnut bread
- About 1/2 tomato, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- calories 610
- caloriesfromfat 68 %
- protein 25 g
- fat 46 g
- satfat 24 g
- carbohydrate 33 g
- fiber 11 g
- sodium 1166 mg
- cholesterol 100 mg
How to Make It
In a medium frying pan over medium heat, heat oil and cook onion, stirring occasionally, until soft and deep golden brown, 10 to 15 minutes. Let cool.
Mix cheeses together in a small bowl.
Top 2 bread slices with cheese mixture, smushing it evenly onto the bread. Top with caramelized onions and tomato, then other two bread slices.
Butter outsides of each sandwich.
Heat a large well-seasoned cast-iron skillet or a large, heavy nonstick pan over medium heat for a minute.
Place sandwiches in skillet and cook until golden-brown underneath, 5 to 7 minutes. Flip and cook the other side until it's just as toasty. Low and slow is the key. Cheese will probably ooze out, but that's okay. It gives the sandwiches a nice crunchy fringe.