- 3/4 cup kamut berries, rinsed
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups finely chopped onion
- 1 cup finely chopped carrot
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 (14 1/2-ounce) cans fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/3 cup dried lentils
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
- 2 teaspoons chopped celery leaves (optional)
How to Make It
Place kamut in a small bowl. Carefully pour boiling water over kamut. Let stand 30 minutes; drain.
Heat oil in a stockpot over medium heat. Add onion, parsley, celery, tarragon, and thyme; cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; cook 2 minutes, stirring often.
Add kamut, broth, and bay leaves to onion mixture; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes. Add lentils and pepper; cook 20 minutes or until lentils are tender. Discard bay leaves. Add chickpeas; simmer 2 minutes. Garnish with celery leaves, if desired.