- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar, divided
- 2 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small red beet, sliced into 4 rounds
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bunch (about 12 oz.) curly kale, stems removed, torn into bite-size pieces
- 3 hard-cooked eggs, each cut into 8 pieces
- Whole parsley leaves,
- chopped chives,
- Buttery French Bread Croutons
How to Make It
Bring water, sugar, 1/2 cup vinegar, and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt to a boil in a small saucepan over high. Boil, whisking until sugar and salt dissolve, about 1 minute. Remove from heat.
Place onions and beets in a glass bowl; add vinegar mixture. Let stand at room temperature 1 hour. Drain and serve, or chill up to 2 weeks.
Whisk together buttermilk, mayonnaise, and olive oil in a bowl until smooth. Whisk in parsley, chives, garlic, and remaining 1 tablespoon vinegar. Stir in pepper and remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt.
Toss together kale, onion mixture, and 1/2 cup dressing. Top with eggs, parsley, chives, and croutons. Serve with remaining dressing.