This recipe far exceeded my expectations. I made this for my sons birthday party. I needed a veggie lasagna to go with the meat version. Surprise this one came out better than the meat based one. I did make a few changes added a little more pancetta, used kale and mustard greens and added a bit more cheese. My version may not have been quite as healthy but everyone raved about it. This recipe is definitely a keeper
Kale and Mushroom Lasagna
Photo: Jason Wallis; Styling: Missie Neville Crawford
More From Cooking Light
1 Hour, 20 Minutes
Total: 2 Hours, 10 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 454
- Fat: 13.5g
- Saturated fat: 5.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Protein: 24.1g
- Carbohydrate: 61.2g
- Fiber: 8.3g
- Cholesterol: 26mg
- Iron: 5.6mg
- Sodium: 654mg
- Calcium: 479mg
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 10 garlic cloves, minced and divided
- 2 tablespoons unsalted tomato paste
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can unsalted fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 (14-ounce) can unsalted crushed tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 ounce pancetta
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms
- 3/4 cup unsalted beef stock, divided
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half
- 8 cups chopped kale
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- Cooking spray
- 6 uncooked no-boil lasagna noodles
- 1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 ounce Parmesan cheese, grated (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 ounce part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; cook 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add 8 garlic cloves; cook 1 minute. Add tomato paste, and cook 2 minutes, stirring to combine. Add wine; cook 1 minute. Add basil and next 4 ingredients (through bay leaf). Stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Discard bay leaf.
- 2. Place pancetta in a food processor; process until finely ground. Remove pancetta. Place mushrooms in food processor; process until finely ground.
- 3. Heat a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add pancetta; cook 6 minutes or until crisp, stirring to crumble. Add remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, mushrooms, and 1/4 cup stock. Increase heat to medium. Cook 10 minutes or until almost dry. Remove from heat; stir in half-and-half.
- 4. Heat a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add remaining 1/2 cup stock and remaining 2 garlic cloves; bring to a boil. Add kale; cook 10 minutes or until kale wilts, stirring occasionally. Stir in vinegar.
- 5. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 6. Spread 1 cup sauce in bottom of an 8-inch square broiler-safe glass or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange 2 noodles over sauce; top noodles with all of kale and 3/4 cup sauce. Arrange 2 noodles over kale and sauce; top with mushroom mixture and ricotta. Top with remaining 2 noodles. Spread remaining sauce over noodles; sprinkle with Parmesan. Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes.
- 7. Turn on broiler (do not remove dish from oven). Uncover; sprinkle with mozzarella. Broil 2 minutes or until cheese melts. Let stand 5 minutes; sprinkle with parsley and pepper.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note