I thought this was just okay. I thought it really lacked flavor, unless you count red onion as a flavor, in which case it was PACKED with flavor. Surprisingly, my boyfriend really like it. A kale salad? Who is this person? I probably won't make it again, but if you do, don't skip the cranberries!
Wheat Berry, Kale, and Cranberry Salad
More From Cooking Light
Total: 1 Hour
- Calories: 284
- Fat: 4.8g
- Saturated fat: 0.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Protein: 8.7g
- Carbohydrate: 55.9g
- Fiber: 8.5g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 1.3mg
- Sodium: 415mg
- Calcium: 107mg
- 1/2 cup uncooked wheat berries
- 2 cups shredded baby kale
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/4 cup minced red onion
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1. Place wheat berries in a medium saucepan. Cover with water to 2 inches above wheat berries; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium, and cook 50 minutes or until chewy-tender. Drain and rinse with cold water; drain.
- 2. Place wheat berries and remaining ingredients in a large bowl; toss gently.
- THE WHOLE-GRAINS BENTO
- Holy whole grains! For crunchy-granola types, there's good-for-you nutrition all over this lunch, which gives you about two-thirds of the daily whole-grain recommendation.
- Make Our Recipe: Wheat Berry, Kale, and Cranberry Salad
- Then add…
- 12 100% whole-grain crackers (such as Wheat Thins)
- 1 ounce Manchego cheese, thinly sliced
- 2 whole-grain oatmeal cookies with chocolate (such as Kashi Oatmeal Dark Chocolate Cookies)
- Serves 2
- Each lunch contains 527 calories, 17.1g fat (6.2g sat fat), 15g protein, 83.8g carbs, 13.3g fiber, and 671mg sodium.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This