Kale and scallion negimaki
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1 pinch(s) Love
- 1/4 cup tamari
- 1/4 cup mirin
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red miso
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- Eight 1/4-inch-thick slices of tenderloin steak (1 1/2 pounds), pounded 1/8 inch thick
- 1/2 pound kale, stems discarded
- 8 scallions, quartered lengthwise
- Vegetable oil, for brushing
- Toasted sesame seeds, for garnish
- In a small bowl, whisk together the tamari, mirin, red miso, sugar and sesame oil. Spread 1 teaspoon of the mixture on each side of the beef slices. Refrigerate for 1 hour. Reserve the remaining marinade.
- In a saucepan of salted boiling water, cook the kale until bright green, 2 minutes. Drain and lightly squeeze out the excess water.
- On a work surface, lay out a slice of beef with a long side facing you. Place 1 scallion slice across the lower edge. Top with one-eighth of the kale; some of the kale should extend beyond the short sides of the meat. Roll the meat up over the filling very tightly. Secure the roll with 2 toothpicks. Repeat with the remaining meat, scallions and kale.
- Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. Brush the rolls with oil. Oil the grill grate. Grill the rolls over high heat until charred, 2 minutes. Brush the rolls with some marinade and grill for a few seconds more, until glazed.
- Transfer the rolls to a work surface. Discard the toothpicks. Cut the negimaki into 1-inch lengths. Transfer to a platter, cut sides up, and drizzle with the remaining marinade. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by jenniferld87 and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Kale and scallion negimaki Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Main Dishes