Kahlua Dream Layered Cake
Community Recipe from
- Chocolate Cake:
- 4 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cup(s) caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon(s) salt
- 2 teaspoon(s) baking soda
- 1/2 cup(s) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
- 160 ml vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoon(s) vinegar
- 480 ml cold water
- Chocolate Mousse Layers:
- 12 ounce(s) semi sweet chocolate
- 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoon(s) powdered sugar
- 300 ml whipping cream
- 3 tablespoon(s) Kahlua
- Chocolate Curls:
- 1 large chunk of dark chocolate (big enough to fit in the palm of one hand)
- Suggested tool: vegetable peeler
- Preheat oven to 350F and line the bottom of two 8 inch round springform pans.
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Mix together all the liquid ingredients separately.
- Make a well into the dry and add the liquid and whisk until it all just comes together.
- Divide batter into two pans, and bake for 30 minutes or longer, checking often with a toothpick.
- Remove from the oven, place on a wire rack and let fully cool in the pan.
- Mousse Layer:
- Melt the chocolate and set aside to get to room temperature.
- Whisk the whipping cream with the icing sugar until light and fluffy.
- When the chocolate is still melted but no longer hot and more or less similar in temperature to the cream, whisk it in quickly
- Next whisk in the vanilla and Kahlua.
- Let set in fridge for at least 3 hours.
- Using a serrated knife, slice the tops of your cake ever so slightly off to create a flat surface.
- Spoon over half the mousse and level it out. Place the next slice of cake over top the mousse, then add the other half of the mousse.
- To make your chocolate curls, start with a large chunk of chocolate.
- Starting on a flat part of the chocolate, such as the side of a chocolate bar, press the edge of the vegetable peeler into the chocolate and slowly “peel,” as though peeling a carrot.
- The chocolate will curl up into neat ringlets as you work, but you may need to apply more pressure if you are having troubles.
- Keep peeling in the same spot so that you always have a nice, flat surface to grab curls from.
- Garnish mousse with chocolate curls.
- Refrigerate before cutting.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by psfreeman and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note