Kahlua Dream Layered Cake
Community Recipe from
- Chocolate Cake:
- 4 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cup(s) caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon(s) salt
- 2 teaspoon(s) baking soda
- 1/2 cup(s) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
- 160 ml vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoon(s) vinegar
- 480 ml cold water
- Chocolate Mousse Layers:
- 12 ounce(s) semi sweet chocolate
- 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoon(s) powdered sugar
- 300 ml whipping cream
- 3 tablespoon(s) Kahlua
- Chocolate Curls:
- 1 large chunk of dark chocolate (big enough to fit in the palm of one hand)
- Suggested tool: vegetable peeler
- Preheat oven to 350F and line the bottom of two 8 inch round springform pans.
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Mix together all the liquid ingredients separately.
- Make a well into the dry and add the liquid and whisk until it all just comes together.
- Divide batter into two pans, and bake for 30 minutes or longer, checking often with a toothpick.
- Remove from the oven, place on a wire rack and let fully cool in the pan.
- Mousse Layer:
- Melt the chocolate and set aside to get to room temperature.
- Whisk the whipping cream with the icing sugar until light and fluffy.
- When the chocolate is still melted but no longer hot and more or less similar in temperature to the cream, whisk it in quickly
- Next whisk in the vanilla and Kahlua.
- Let set in fridge for at least 3 hours.
- Using a serrated knife, slice the tops of your cake ever so slightly off to create a flat surface.
- Spoon over half the mousse and level it out. Place the next slice of cake over top the mousse, then add the other half of the mousse.
- To make your chocolate curls, start with a large chunk of chocolate.
- Starting on a flat part of the chocolate, such as the side of a chocolate bar, press the edge of the vegetable peeler into the chocolate and slowly “peel,” as though peeling a carrot.
- The chocolate will curl up into neat ringlets as you work, but you may need to apply more pressure if you are having troubles.
- Keep peeling in the same spot so that you always have a nice, flat surface to grab curls from.
- Garnish mousse with chocolate curls.
- Refrigerate before cutting.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by psfreeman and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes