- 1 (16-oz.) package dried red kidney beans
- 1 pound mild smoked sausage, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 (1/2-lb.) smoked ham hock, cut in half
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 celery ribs, diced
- 1 medium-size yellow onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons salt-free Cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 3 (32-oz.) containers low-sodium chicken broth
How to Make It
Place beans in a large Dutch oven; add water 2 inches above beans. Boil 1 minute; cover, remove from heat, and let stand 1 hour. Drain.
Cook sausage and ham in hot oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat 8 to 10 minutes or until browned. Drain sausage and ham on paper towels, reserving 2 Tbsp. drippings. Add celery and next 8 ingredients to drippings; cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes.
Add broth, beans, sausage, and ham to Dutch oven. Bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, 2 hours or until beans are tender. Discard ham hock and bay leaves.