There are nicer ways to critique a recipe. Rudeness (Yuck..really?) is not becoming. Pointing out what you would do differently is fine, being mean is simply uncalled for.
John's Creole Red Beans
More From Southern Living
Soak: 8 Hours
- 1 (16-ounce) package dried red kidney beans
- 1 pound spicy smoked sausage
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium-size green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (32-ounce) container chicken broth
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked rice
- Garnish: chopped green onions
- Rinse and sort beans according to package directions. Place beans in a Dutch oven; cover with water 2 inches above beans, and let soak 8 hours. Drain beans, and rinse thoroughly; drain and set aside.
- Cut smoked sausage into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
- Sauté sausage in hot oil in Dutch oven over medium heat 5 to 7 minutes or until sausage is golden brown. Remove sausage with a slotted spoon, and drain on paper towels, reserving drippings in Dutch oven. (Store sausage in refrigerator until you're ready to stir into bean mixture.) Add celery and next 3 ingredients to hot drippings, and sauté 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add tomatoes, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 7 minutes.
- Stir in beans, broth, and next 5 ingredients; increase heat to medium-high, and bring to a boil. Boil 10 minutes; reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until beans are tender. Stir in sausage, and simmer 30 more minutes. Serve over hot cooked rice. Garnish, if desired.
- Note: For quick soaking, place kidney beans in a Dutch oven; cover with water 2 inches above beans, and bring to a boil. Boil 1 minute; cover, remove from heat, and let stand 1 hour. Drain as directed, and proceed with recipe. For testing purposes only, we used Conecuh Original Smoked Sausage, which is spicy.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables