This is a most excellent slaw. I wouldn't change any of the ingredients. Make it as written. I was a little leery making it because my husband is quite attached to cole slaw - but he loved it. It was also the first foray into jicama - I recommend giving it a try as well as this slaw.
Photo: Thayer Allyson Gowdy
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 142
- Calories from fat: 63%
- Protein: 1.3g
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated fat: 1.4g
- Carbohydrate: 12g
- Fiber: 4.8g
- Sodium: 306mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 2 carrots, peeled and julienned
- 1 small jicama (about 1 1/4 lbs.), peeled and julienned
- 1 large red bell pepper, cored and very thinly sliced
- 1/4 head red cabbage, cored and very thinly sliced
- 1/2 red onion, halved lengthwise and very thinly sliced lengthwise, rinsed, and patted dry
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon minced cilantro leaves, plus more for garnish
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chile flakes
- 1. At home: Put cut vegetables in a large resealable plastic bag. Keep, chilled, up to 2 days.
- 2. At home: Combine oil, vinegar, lime juice, minced cilantro, salt, pepper, sugar, chili powder, and chile flakes in a small resealable plastic bag or container. Keep, chilled, up to 2 days.
- 3. At campsite: Add dressing to vegetables, shake to combine well, and let sit 15 minutes, stirring 2 or 3 times. Serve garnished with cilantro, if you like.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables