Jicama Grapefruit Salad
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 73
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Protein: 1.7g
- Fat: 2.4g
- Saturated fat: 0.3g
- Carbohydrate: 13g
- Fiber: 2.1g
- Sodium: 75mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 1 jicama (1 lb. or a 1-lb. piece)
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 2 red or pink grapefruit (1 1/4 lb. each)
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 clove garlic, pressed or minced
- About 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sliced red radishes
- 1 firm-ripe avocado (1/2 lb.)
- 1. Rinse jicama. Cut off and discard skin and any tough fibers. Cut jicama into matchstick-size sticks 2 to 3 inches long.
- 2. Rinse onion slices with cool water and drain.
- 3. With a knife, cut off and discard grapefruit peel and membrane. Over a wide serving bowl, cut between inner grapefruit membranes and lift out fruit segments. Put fruit in bowl. Squeeze remaining membrane over bowl to collect juice.
- 4. Drain grapefruit segments; save 1/2 cup juice and keep the rest to drink. Combine the 1/2 cup juice with vinegar, basil, garlic, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; return to grapefruit. Add jicama, radishes, and onion and mix.
- 5. Peel, pit, and thinly slice avocado onto jicama salad. Gently mix and add salt and pepper to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Salads