I made this tonight to go along with the Grilled Tilapia Soft Taco Recipe found on this site. My grocery store was out of jicama, so I just used red cabbage instead and it was still really good. It made a LOT of slaw though....next time I will cut the recipe in half. My husband LOVED the meal (and he's Cuban so he knows Hispanic flair!)
Prep: 12 minutes; Marinate: 30 minutes.
This recipe goes with Fish Tacos with Jicama-Cilantro Coleslaw
Yield: Makes 8 cups
- 1 large jicama, peeled and cut into julienne strips
- 1 head green cabbage, cored and finely shredded
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 large bunch fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1. Toss first 4 ingredients in a large bowl. Let stand, covered, 30 minutes.
- 2. Grate rind from lime, and squeeze juice to measure 3 tablespoons. Stir together rind, juice, cumin, cayenne, and mayonnaise in a small bowl. Add to cabbage mixture, and toss well. Toss in cilantro.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables