Jerusalem Artichoke Pickles
- 4 pounds Jerusalem artichokes, peeled and sliced
- 1 large white onion, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup salt
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons whole peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons whole allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon whole cloves
- 2 (3-inch) sticks cinnamon, broken
- 1 quart white vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- Combine artichokes and onion in a large glass container; sprinkle with salt. Cover and refrigerate 24 hours. Rinse mixture several times in cold water; drain well.
- Combine spices; tie loosely in a cheesecloth bag. Combine spice bag, vinegar, and sugar in a stainless steel stockpot. Bring to a boil; boil 3 minutes, stirring until sugar dissolves. Add artichoke mixture. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove spice bag and onion; discard. Pack artichokes into hot sterilized jars, and cover with hot syrup, leaving 1/3- inch head space. Remove air bubbles. Cover at once with metal lids, and screw bands tight. Process artichokes in boiling- water bath 10 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note