Jennie Benedict's Rum Cake
- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 egg whites
- Rum Filling
- Rum Frosting
- Cream butter; gradually add sugar, beating well.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Stir in vanilla.
- Beat egg whites (at room temperature) until stiff peaks form; fold into batter.
- Spoon batter into 2 waxed paper-lined and greased 9-inch round cake pans. Bake at 350° for 35 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes; remove from pans, and cool completely.
- Spread filling between layers of cake, and chill. Spread top and sides of cake with frosting.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note