Jeffrey's Roast Chicken
Community Recipe from
- 1 whole(s) roasting chicken 4-5 lb
- 2 whole(s) lemons
- 1 whole(s) head of garlic cut in half, crosswise
- 2 whole(s) spanish onions (red) peeled and sliced thickly
- 1/2 cup(s) dry white wine
- 1/2 cup(s) chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon(s) all-purpose flour
- 1. Preheat the oven to 425.
- 2. Remove and discard chicken giblets, if any. Rinse and pat the chicken dry. Liberally salt and pepper the inside of the chicken. Cut the lemons in quarters and place 2 quarters in the cavity along w the garlic.
- 3. Brush the chicken with olive oil and sprinkle liberally with kosher salt and pepper. Tie the legs together with kitchen string. Place the chicken in a small (11x14) roasting pan (do not put in a larger pan!). Place four more lemon quarters and the sliced onions in a bowl and toss with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 1 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper. Pour the mixture around the chicken. (Reserve the other two lemon quarters for another use).
- 4. Roast the chicken for about 1 hour and 15 to 30 minutes, until the juices run clear when you cut between a leg and a thigh. Remove the chicken to a platter, leaving the lemons and onions in the pan. Cover the chicken with foil and allow to rest.
- 5. Place the roasting pan on top of the stove over medium high heat. Add the wine and stir with a wooden spoon to scrape up the brown bits. Add the stock and sprinkle on the flour, stirring constantly for a minute, until the sauce thickens. Taste for seasoning (it sometimes needs a touch of salt). Carve the chicken and serve with the sauce, discarding the lemons.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by CKSchirmeier and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Jeffrey's Roast Chicken Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Main Dishes