- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 medium carrot, scraped and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup pan drippings from beef or veal roast
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 1/2 cups beef broth, diluted and divided
- 1 bay leaf
- Pinch of dried whole thyme
- 1/3 cup Madeira or other sweet wine
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- Sauté onion, garlic, carrot, and celery in pan drippings in a large saucepan over low heat until vegetables are tender. Add flour; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, 5 minutes or until roux is the color of a copper penny. Gradually add 3 cups broth, stirring until well blended. Stir in bay leaf and thyme. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat 15 minutes.
- Add remaining 1 1/2 cups broth; cook an additional 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add wine and tomato sauce; cook 5 minutes. Strain sauce through a sieve; discard vegetables and bay leaf. Serve sauce hot with roast beef or veal.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This