Japonica Ice Cream Sundaes
Photo: Iain Bagwell; Styling: Karen Shinto
More From Sunset
Freeze: 3 Hours
Amount per serving
- Calories: 580
- Calories from fat: 37%
- Protein: 10g
- Fat: 24g
- Saturated fat: 13g
- Carbohydrate: 76g
- Fiber: 6.8g
- Sodium: 127mg
- Cholesterol: 79mg
- 4 cups vanilla ice cream, softened
- 2 tablespoons matcha*
- 1/2 cup plus 1 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 cup nigori sake*
- 3 quarter-size slices fresh ginger, lightly crushed
- 4 ripe red plums, pitted and cut into 1-in.-thick chunks
- 1/4 cup cold whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped candied ginger
- 1 cup crushed sesame candy, such as Loucks Sesame Snaps
- 1. Stir ice cream and matcha together in a bowl. Freeze until firm, 3 to 4 hours.
- 2. Combine 1/2 cup sugar, the sake, ginger, and 1/3 cup water in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring, until sugar dissolves. Add plums and simmer over medium heat, covered, until fruit begins to soften, about 5 minutes.
- 3. Transfer plums with a slotted spoon to a bowl. Discard skins and ginger. Return liquid to stove; boil until reduced to 1/2 cup, 7 to 10 minutes. Pour over plums and chill until cool, about 20 minutes.
- 4. Whisk cream with remaining sugar in a bowl. Fold in candied ginger.
- 5. Spoon a third of plums and sesame snaps into 4 sundae glasses. Top with a scoop of ice cream. Repeat layering and top with remaining plums. Dollop with whipped cream and sprinkle with remaining sesame snaps.
- *Find matcha at well-stocked grocery stores and at breakawaymatcha.com; find fruity nigori sake at liquor stores.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts