Japanese Tofu Skewers on Soba
Photo: Annabelle Breakey; Styling: Karen Shinto
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 595
- Calories from fat: 28%
- Protein: 23g
- Fat: 19g
- Saturated fat: 2.3g
- Carbohydrate: 85g
- Fiber: 2.2g
- Sodium: 1900mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup mirin (sweet rice wine)
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 10 to 12 ounces nigari tofu*, cut into 1-in. cubes
- 16 small fresh shiitake mushroom caps
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 green onions, cut into 1 1/2-in. lengths
- 12 ounces dried soba noodles
- 8 radishes, thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons wasabi paste
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1. Heat grill to medium (350° to 450°).
- 2. Mix soy sauce, mirin, and sesame oil in a bowl. Add tofu and marinate 10 minutes.
- 3. Heat a large pot of water to boiling. In a bowl, toss mushrooms in oil to coat.
- 4. Drain tofu, reserving marinade. Slip cubes onto 4 metal or soaked wooden skewers, alternating with green onions and mushrooms. Thinly slice any leftover onion.
- 5. Boil noodles in water until al dente, 4 minutes. Drain; rinse well with cold water. Divide noodles among dinner bowls and garnish with radishes and sliced onion.
- 6. Oil cooking grate, using tongs and a wad of oiled paper towels. Grill tofu skewers, covered, turning once, until lightly browned, 6 to 8 minutes. Set skewers on noodles.
- 7. Mix marinade with broth, wasabi, lemon zest, and juice and serve on the side.
- *Buy nigari in the refrigerated section of your grocery store.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per skewer plus 1/4 of noodles.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This