- 3 ounces dried bean-thread noodles (saifun or cellophane noodles; see Notes)
- 5 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup mirin (see Notes) or cream sherry
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 to 5 thin slices peeled fresh ginger
- 12 ounces boned, skinned, chicken thigh meat, trimmed of fat and cut into 1-in. chunks
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded, stemmed, and cut into thin slices
- 4 ounces sugar snap or snow peas
- 4 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 8 ounces firm tofu, drained and cut into 1-in. cubes
- 3 green onions (green and white parts), cut into 1-in. lengths
- Sriracha (see Notes)
- calories 363
- caloriesfromfat 15 %
- protein 28 g
- fat 5.9 g
- satfat 1.3 g
- carbohydrate 42 g
- fiber 2.5 g
- sodium 1827 mg
- cholesterol 71 mg
How to Make It
In a small bowl, soak bean-thread noodles in boiling water until soft, about 5 minutes. Drain and cut into 6- to 10-in. lengths.
In a 5- to 6-qt. pot or a 12-in. frying pan (with sides at least 2 in. high), bring broth, mirin, soy sauce, sugar, and ginger to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 5 minutes.
Arrange noodles, chicken, bell pepper, peas, mushrooms, tofu, and green onions in separate piles in the pot. Cover and simmer, without stirring, until chicken chunks are no longer pink in the center (cut one to test), about 5 minutes. Set pot on the table so people can serve themselves, with Sriracha on the side.
Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.