The best pickles I ever had have been in Japan and Japanese restaurants. Unlike some American pickles, they are crispy, full of flavor and have less salt. I use a Japanese pickle press that can be found on the internet for a very reasonable price. I bought the large because I like to make a lot at one time and snack on them throughout the day. The recipe I most use is posted here, however, there are several books available with many other recipes.
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 4 large cucumbers cored, mostly peeled sliced thin
- 1 bunch(es) radishes sliced thin
- 1/2 cup(s) plain salt
- 1/4 cup(s) rice or apple cider vinegar
- Once the cucumbers are cored, peeled ( a little green peel left on looks good) and sliced, start with one layer at the bottom of the press container. Layer the radishes the same way.
- Sprinkle each layer generously with salt. Continue until all the cucumber and radish is used.
- Screw down the lid to the container until it is screwed down fairly tightly. Remember you are pressing the veggies.
- Let the veggies sit in the container for an hour or two. You will notice after this time period there is a lot of water in the container. This is the brine that is salty water from water extracted from the veggies.
- Pour this brine off and rinse the veggies in fresh water. Put the veggies in clean jars.
- Add water to cover the veggies in the jar, add a little vinegar a little salt to taste to the veggies. Or, add other spices and herbs you like. Store in the refrigerator.
- Mine keep for several days. These are great as a snack and served with rice or various other dishes as a side dish or salad.
- *If you don't have a Japanese pickle press, you can use a bowl and weight down the pickles with something heavy using wax paper or a plate as a barrier between the veggies and the weight. Weights can be found on the internet along with fermentation crocks that can also be used or you can possibly find your own weights to use from something around the house.
- Here is a list of veggies that pickle well just to name a few:
- Napa cabbage
- Bell peppers
- Swiss chard
This recipe is a personal recipe added by IFortuna and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note