Japanese New Year's Soup
Community Recipe from
- 4 whole(s) Dried shiitake mushrooms
- 11 ounce(s) Chicken thighs Bones removed and kept
- 11 ounce(s) Salmon fillet Skin on, scales removed
- 2 tablespoon(s) Sake
- 2 ounce(s) Satoimo or Jerusalem artichokes Peeled
- 2 ounce(s) Daikon Peeled
- 2 ounce(s) Carrot Peeled
- 4 whole(s) Spring onions (Scallions) White part only, trimmed
- 4 sprig(s) Mitsuba Root part removed
- 1 whole(s) Yuzu or lime
- 4 whole(s) Tiger prawns Peeled but tail left on
- 2 tablespoon(s) Shoyu
- 8 slice(s) Mochi
- 1. Soak the dried shiitake overnight in 4 cups cold water. Remove the shiitake and pour the water into a pan. Bring to a boil, add the chicken bones and reduce the heat to medium. Skim and remove any foam. After 20 minutes, reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes until the liquid has reduced by 1/3. Strain into another pan.
- 2. Chop the chicken and salmon into small bite-size cubes. Par-boil in water with 1 tbsp sake for 1 minute. Drain and wash.
- 3. Put the peeled satoimo in a pan and add enough water to cover. Add a pinch of salt and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium, cook for another 15 minutes then drain.
- 4. Rinse and wipe the satoimo. Cut the satoimo, daikon and carrots into 1/2 inch cubes.
- 5. Discard the stalks of the shiitake and slice the caps thinly. Chop the white part of the spring onions into 1 inch pieces.
- 6. Put the mitsuba into a sieve and pour hot water over them. Divide the leaves and stalk. Take a stalk, fold it in half then tie it in the middle to make a bow. Make four.
- 7. Cut the yuzu into four, 1/8 inch think round slices. Hollow out the inside to make rings. Add the remaining sake to the soup stock and bring to a boil. Add the daikon, carrot and shiitake. Then, reduce heat and cook for 15 minutes.
- 8. Put the prawns, satoimo, spring onions, chicken and salmon into the pan. Wait for 5 minutes, then add the shoyu. Reduce heat to low.
- 9. Cut the mochi in half crossways. Toast under a moderate pre-heated broiler. Turn every minute until both sides are golden and the pieces have start to swell up. This should take about 5 minutes.
- 10. Quickly arrange the toasted mochi into individual soup bowls and pour the hot soup over the top. Arrange a mitsuba leaf in the center of each bowl, put a yuzu ring on top and a mitsuba bow across.
- Serve immediately.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by KoroshiyaHunter and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note