This is a wonderful soup recipe, I have made it for years, since it first showed up in the Sunset Magazine. When I serve this to friends, it is the most requested recipe. It does involve lots of preparation but it's well worth it!
Jan's Roasted Red Pepper Soup
A cooking-show demonstration about roasting peppers inspired Jan Claire to create this soup, which he serves with crusty French bread.
Yield: Makes about 7 1/2 cups; 4 or 5 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 311
- Calories from fat: 61%
- Protein: 8.1g
- Fat: 21g
- Saturated fat: 13g
- Carbohydrate: 26g
- Fiber: 4g
- Sodium: 690mg
- Cholesterol: 61mg
- 2 red bell peppers (about 1 lb. total), rinsed
- 1 onion (about 1/2 lb.), peeled and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup (1/8 lb.) butter or margarine
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups fat-skimmed beef broth
- 2 cups half-and-half (light cream)
- 1 can (15 oz.) tomato sauce
- About 1/4 teaspoon hot chili flakes
- Salt and pepper
- 1. Rinse the peppers and cut them in half lengthwise. Remove and discard stems, seeds, and veins. Lay peppers, cut sides down, in a 10- by 15-inch pan. Broil 4 to 6 inches from heat until skins are blackened all over, about 12 minutes. When the peppers are cool enough to handle, pull off and discard skins; chop peppers.
- 2. In a 3- to 4-quart pan over medium-high heat, stir onion in butter until limp, about 3 minutes. Stir in peppers and carrots.
- 3. Add flour and stir about 1 minute. Add broth, half-and-half, and tomato sauce; stir until mixture boils and is slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
- 4. Stir in chili flakes and salt and pepper to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note