This is a wonderful soup recipe, I have made it for years, since it first showed up in the Sunset Magazine. When I serve this to friends, it is the most requested recipe. It does involve lots of preparation but it's well worth it!
Jan's Roasted Red Pepper Soup
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 311
- Calories from fat: 61%
- Protein: 8.1g
- Fat: 21g
- Saturated fat: 13g
- Carbohydrate: 26g
- Fiber: 4g
- Sodium: 690mg
- Cholesterol: 61mg
- 2 red bell peppers (about 1 lb. total), rinsed
- 1 onion (about 1/2 lb.), peeled and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup (1/8 lb.) butter or margarine
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups fat-skimmed beef broth
- 2 cups half-and-half (light cream)
- 1 can (15 oz.) tomato sauce
- About 1/4 teaspoon hot chili flakes
- Salt and pepper
- 1. Rinse the peppers and cut them in half lengthwise. Remove and discard stems, seeds, and veins. Lay peppers, cut sides down, in a 10- by 15-inch pan. Broil 4 to 6 inches from heat until skins are blackened all over, about 12 minutes. When the peppers are cool enough to handle, pull off and discard skins; chop peppers.
- 2. In a 3- to 4-quart pan over medium-high heat, stir onion in butter until limp, about 3 minutes. Stir in peppers and carrots.
- 3. Add flour and stir about 1 minute. Add broth, half-and-half, and tomato sauce; stir until mixture boils and is slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
- 4. Stir in chili flakes and salt and pepper to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews