- 2 red bell peppers (about 1 lb. total), rinsed
- 1 onion (about 1/2 lb.), peeled and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup (1/8 lb.) butter or margarine
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups fat-skimmed beef broth
- 2 cups half-and-half (light cream)
- 1 can (15 oz.) tomato sauce
- About 1/4 teaspoon hot chili flakes
- Salt and pepper
- calories 311
- caloriesfromfat 61 %
- protein 8.1 g
- fat 21 g
- satfat 13 g
- carbohydrate 26 g
- fiber 4 g
- sodium 690 mg
- cholesterol 61 mg
How to Make It
Rinse the peppers and cut them in half lengthwise. Remove and discard stems, seeds, and veins. Lay peppers, cut sides down, in a 10- by 15-inch pan. Broil 4 to 6 inches from heat until skins are blackened all over, about 12 minutes. When the peppers are cool enough to handle, pull off and discard skins; chop peppers.
In a 3- to 4-quart pan over medium-high heat, stir onion in butter until limp, about 3 minutes. Stir in peppers and carrots.
Add flour and stir about 1 minute. Add broth, half-and-half, and tomato sauce; stir until mixture boils and is slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
Stir in chili flakes and salt and pepper to taste.