Very good, very easy.. next time I might go a little easier on the tomato paste. But will definitely make again!
Jane's Vegetarian Chili
Boasting less than 300 calories and almost 15 grams of fiber per bowl, this hearty chili skips the ground beef and uses chickpeas, black beans, kidney beans, and cannellini beans for a protein boost. To make this a complete vegetarian meal, skip the Worcestershire sauce or use anchovy-free.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 276
- Calories from fat: 11%
- Fat: 3.5g
- Saturated fat: 0.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 12.7g
- Carbohydrate: 49.7g
- Fiber: 14.7g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 4.2mg
- Sodium: 587mg
- Calcium: 107mg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups water, divided
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (15 1/2-ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (16-ounce) can cannellini beans or other white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese, (optional)
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté 3 minutes or until tender. Add 3 cups water and next 8 ingredients (through cannellini beans), stirring to combine.
- Combine remaining cup of water and tomato paste in a bowl, stirring with a whisk until blended. Stir tomato paste mixture into bean mixture. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Ladle soup into bowls. Top with cheese, if desired.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note