From the kitchen of: Amy Lowe Mitchell, production manager. Before the holidays, Mother has a fish fry with hushpuppies, potatoes, and cole slaw, just for something different before we get into the turkey and stuffing and all the other usual holiday staples. We all look forward to it, especially my brother-in-law, who insists that Mother's hushpuppies are the best in the world!
Prep: 15 minutes; Cook: 6 minutes per batch.
- 1 1/2 cups self-rising cornmeal
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup self-rising flour
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup cream-style corn
- 1/4 cup chopped jalapeño pepper, seeded
- Vegetable oil
- 1. Combine first 7 ingredients in a large bowl. (Mixture should be thick but not dry.)
- 2. Pour oil into a Dutch oven to a depth of 4 inches. Heat to 375°. Drop rounded tablespoonfuls of batter into oil. Fry in batches, 6 to 7 minutes or until dark golden brown, turning once. Drain on a wire rack over paper towels, and serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note