- 1/4 cup blanched almonds, chopped
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/3 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/3 teaspoon ground mace
- 1 cup orange juice
- 4 1/3 cups raisins
- 2 (8-ounce) packages chopped dates
- 1 1/2 cups currants
- 2 (4-ounce) packages chopped candied citron
- 1 1/3 cups chopped candied pineapple
- 1 1/3 cups chopped pecans
How to Make It
Grease four 7 1/2- x 3- x 2-inch loaf pans, and line the sides and bottom with greased heavy brown paper. Set aside.
Combine almonds and 1/2 cup orange juice; set aside.
Cream butter in a large mixing bowl; gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
Combine 1 1/2 cups flour, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, allspice, and mace; add to creamed mixture alternately with 1 cup orange juice, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Mix well after each addition.
Dredge remaining ingredients in 1/2 cup flour; gently stir into batter. Add almond mixture, stirring well
Spoon batter into prepared pans. Bake at 300° for 1 hour and 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool cakes completely in pans.