James Beard's Boiled Beef
Yield: Makes 6 or 7 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 190
- Calories from fat: 46%
- Protein: 24g
- Fat: 9.8g
- Saturated fat: 3.7g
- Carbohydrate: 0.0g
- Fiber: 0.0g
- Sodium: 54mg
- Cholesterol: 71mg
- 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 pounds center-cut beef tenderloin
- 5 cups fat-skimmed beef broth
- 1. Trim as much fat as you can from a 1 1/2- to 1 3/4-pound center-cut beef tenderloin. With cotton string, tie beef crosswise at 1- to 1 1/2-inch intervals to make a compact roll (it should be about 3 in. thick).
- 2. In a deep 2 1/2- to 3-quart pan over high heat, bring 5 cups fat-skimmed beef broth to a boil. Add beef to the pan and cover, simmer, turning meat over frequently, until it feels bouncy-firm when pressed and is 100º on a thermometer or pale red in center of thickest part (cut to test), 20 to 25 mnutes.
- 3. Lift beef from broth; reserve broth for other uses. Cover and chill beef at least 1 hour or up to 2 days. Slice thin and remove string.
- Nutritional analysis per 3 ounces.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes