- 1/4 cup lard or shortening
- 1 (3-pound) broiler-fryer, cut up
- 3/4 pound cubed cooked ham
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium-size green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/4 cups uncooked regular rice
- 2 quarts water
- 1 tomato, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 tablespoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried whole thyme
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon dried whole basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried whole oregano
How to Make It
Melt lard in a small stock pot over medium heat; add chicken and ham, and cook, turning to brown all sides. Remove chicken and ham; set aside, reserving pan drippings. Add onion, green pepper, and garlic to pan drippings; sauté until tender. Stir in rice; cook over medium heat until rice is browned.
Add water, tomato, parsley, salt, pepper, thyme, hot sauce, bay leaves, basil, oregano, and reserved chicken and ham; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 1 1/2 hours, stirring frequently. Remove and discard bay leaves.
Transfer pieces of chicken to individual serving plates. Spoon jambalaya over chicken, and serve immediately.