- 1 pound andouille sausage, sliced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups diced sweet onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons Creole seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 (10-oz.) cans diced tomatoes and green chiles, drained
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups uncooked long-grain rice
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 pound peeled, medium-size raw shrimp, deveined
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Garnish: chopped green onions
How to Make It
Cook sausage in hot oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, 5 minutes or until browned. Remove sausage with a slotted spoon.
Add diced onion and next 7 ingredients to hot drippings; sauté 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in tomatoes, next 3 ingredients, and sausage. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover, reduce heat to medium, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
Stir in shrimp; cover and cook 5 minutes or just until shrimp turn pink. Stir in parsley. Serve immediately.
To Freeze: Prepare recipe as directed. Line bottom and sides of a 13- x 9-inch baking dish with heavy-duty aluminum foil, allowing 2 to 3 inches to extend over sides; fill with jambalaya. Cover and freeze. To serve, remove foil, return casserole to original baking dish; cover and thaw in refrigerator 24 hours. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Bake at 350° until thoroughly heated.