This dish comes together very quickly and has just enough spice (courtesy of the jamaican jerk seasoning) to be interesting. The brown rice adds a nice nutty flavor and chewiness to the dish. On a busy weekday night, this dish is quick to prepare, healthy and very inexpensive; an all-around winner!
Jamaican Red Beans and Rice Soup
More From Oxmoor House
Amount per serving
- Calories: 375
- Calories from fat: 0.0%
- Fat: 7.2g
- Saturated fat: 1.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Protein: 11.7g
- Carbohydrate: 65.5g
- Fiber: 7.7g
- Cholesterol: 8mg
- Iron: 2.1mg
- Sodium: 887mg
- Calcium: 34mg
- 2 bacon slices, cut crosswise into thin strips
- 1/2 cup chopped onion (1 small)
- 2 (14-ounce) cans fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons Jamaican jerk seasoning (such as McCormick)
- 1 (16-ounce) can red beans, rinsed and drained (such as Bush's)
- 1 (8.8-ounce) package microwaveable precooked whole-grain brown rice (such as Uncle Ben's Ready Rice)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1. Cook bacon and onion in a large saucepan over medium heat 2 minutes.
- 2. While bacon mixture cooks, place broth in a large microwave-safe bowl. Cover with plastic wrap; vent. Microwave at HIGH 2 minutes.
- 3. Add hot broth and jerk seasoning to bacon mixture. Stir in beans, mashing slightly. Cover; bring to a boil over high heat. Uncover, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes. Stir in rice; cover and simmer 3 minutes. Ladle soup evenly into 4 bowls; sprinkle with cilantro.
- Serve Now or Later
- Make this quick soup ahead, and divide it into small, shallow containers with lids to ensure quick cooling in the refrigerator and easy portability. Use within 3 to 4 days after cooking, or freeze for up to 6 months. For safe transporting, pack the soup in an insulated lunch bag with gel packs to help keep it cool.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews