- 2 bacon slices, cut crosswise into thin strips
- 1/2 cup chopped onion (1 small)
- 2 (14-ounce) cans fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons Jamaican jerk seasoning (such as McCormick)
- 1 (16-ounce) can red beans, rinsed and drained (such as Bush's)
- 1 (8.8-ounce) package microwaveable precooked whole-grain brown rice (such as Uncle Ben's Ready Rice)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- calories 375
- caloriesfromfat 0.0 %
- fat 7.2 g
- satfat 1.7 g
- monofat 2.6 g
- polyfat 0.9 g
- protein 11.7 g
- carbohydrate 65.5 g
- fiber 7.7 g
- cholesterol 8 mg
- iron 2.1 mg
- sodium 887 mg
- calcium 34 mg
How to Make It
Cook bacon and onion in a large saucepan over medium heat 2 minutes.
While bacon mixture cooks, place broth in a large microwave-safe bowl. Cover with plastic wrap; vent. Microwave at HIGH 2 minutes.
Add hot broth and jerk seasoning to bacon mixture. Stir in beans, mashing slightly. Cover; bring to a boil over high heat. Uncover, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes. Stir in rice; cover and simmer 3 minutes. Ladle soup evenly into 4 bowls; sprinkle with cilantro.
Serve Now or Later
Make this quick soup ahead, and divide it into small, shallow containers with lids to ensure quick cooling in the refrigerator and easy portability. Use within 3 to 4 days after cooking, or freeze for up to 6 months. For safe transporting, pack the soup in an insulated lunch bag with gel packs to help keep it cool.