I feel bad giving this a 1 because it was ok, but I wouldn't make it again. It was definitely not worth planning 24 hours in advance for! My potatoes turned to mush when I drained them and the final result was much more liquidy than I expected it to be, we actually ate this with a spoon. Maybe I did something wrong?? Either way the dish was not good enough for me to make this again.
Jamaican Jerk Chicken Hash
Photo: Randy Mayor
Jerk chicken, a traditional dish of the Caribbean, almost always contains hot peppers, thyme, and allspice. Our version is milder, but full of flavor.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 cup)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 368
- Calories from fat: 24%
- Fat: 9.8g
- Saturated fat: 2.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3g
- Protein: 38.9g
- Carbohydrate: 30.1g
- Fiber: 2.2g
- Cholesterol: 148mg
- Iron: 3.3mg
- Sodium: 644mg
- Calcium: 158mg
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon chopped jalapeño pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 8 skinned, boned chicken thighs (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 3 cups (1/2-inch) cubed peeled baking potato (about 1 pound)
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup evaporated low-fat milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Combine first 10 ingredients in a blender, and process until smooth. Combine green onion mixture and chicken in a large zip-top plastic bag; seal and marinate in refrigerator 24 hours, turning bag occasionally.
- Place potato in a saucepan, and cover with water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until tender; drain. Cool.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add chicken and marinade; cook 5 minutes on each side or until done. Remove chicken from pan; chop. Add chicken, potato, milk, and 1/4 teaspoon salt to pan; cook for 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring occasionally. Garnish with parsley, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes