- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon ground allspice
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 habanero or serrano peppers, seeded
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless sirloin, trimmed and cut into 30 cubes
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 18 pieces
- 2 black-ripe plantains, peeled, and each cut into 9 pieces
- Cooking spray
- Diagonally cut green onions (optional)
- Lime wedges (optional)
- calories 260
- caloriesfromfat 25 %
- fat 7.1 g
- satfat 2.7 g
- monofat 2.9 g
- polyfat 0.3 g
- protein 26.9 g
- carbohydrate 21.3 g
- fiber 2.4 g
- cholesterol 76 mg
- iron 3.4 mg
- sodium 358 mg
- calcium 20 mg
How to Make It
Combine first 9 ingredients in a food processor or blender; process until smooth. Place onion mixture, beef, and bell pepper pieces in a large zip-top plastic bag; seal. Marinate in refrigerator 20 minutes.
Remove beef and bell pepper pieces from bag; discard marinade. Place beef, bell pepper pieces, and plantain pieces in a large bowl; toss well to coat.
Thread 5 beef cubes, 3 red pepper pieces, and 3 plantain pieces alternately onto each of 6 (12-inch) skewers. Lightly coat kebabs with cooking spray. Place kebabs on grill rack coated with cooking spray. Cook 4 minutes on each side for medium-rare or until desired degree of doneness. Garnish with green onion pieces and serve with lime wedges, if desired.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.