Tasty! I had a plantain that needed to be used so I decided to give this a try. My family really liked it. Even my husband, who is a red-meat kind of guy, devoured it! I served it w/ the recommended Pick-a-pepper sauce, chopped mango, a baked sweet potato, & steamed broccoli.
Jamaican Chicken Burgers
Mashed plantains bind and moisten these island-inspired burgers. Be sure to choose ripe plantains with black skins; they're tender and slightly sweet. Commercial Pickapeppa sauce--a tangy, sweet Jamaican condiment found near the steak sauces in most supermarkets--would be a fitting accompaniment, as is our Chipotle-Poblano Ketchup.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 313
- Calories from fat: 16%
- Fat: 5.5g
- Saturated fat: 1.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 25.3g
- Carbohydrate: 40.9g
- Fiber: 3.3g
- Cholesterol: 50mg
- Iron: 3.1mg
- Sodium: 578mg
- Calcium: 93mg
- 1 cup thinly sliced soft black plantain (about 1 medium)
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds ground chicken breast
- Cooking spray
- 6 (2-ounce) onion sandwich buns, split
- 6 (1/8-inch-thick) red onion slices
- 12 (1/4-inch-thick) tomato slices
- Prepare grill.
- Cook plantain in boiling water 15 minutes or until very tender. Drain; place in a large bowl. Mash plantain with a fork until smooth; cool 5 minutes. Add green onions and next 7 ingredients (through chicken). Divide mixture into 6 equal portions, shaping each into a 1/2-inch-thick patty.
- Place patties on a grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 4 minutes on each side or until a thermometer registers 165°. Remove from grill, and let stand 5 minutes.
- Place buns, cut sides down, on grill rack; grill 1 minute or until toasted. Place 1 patty on bottom half of each bun; top each serving with 1 red onion slice, 2 tomato slices, and top half of bun.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note